Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Stop! Book review time!

Okay, so I have decided that like, once a week or whenever I feel like it, I'm going to post a book review. :D But it'll be five times more epic than a normal book review.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

(I've had to shrink the photo for spacing purposes, but if you click on it, a bigger one will pop up and it'll be easier to read what it says.)


This is easily in my top five favorite series, that's how fabulous it is. I'm really into dystopian future stuff. You can tell because my number one favorite series is the Uglies trilogy-type thing.

I really wanted to review Catching Fire, but I know that it would totally give away how The Hunger Games ends.

This book takes place in the near-ish future. I'm pretty sure that it's three to four hundred years into the future, but I don't think they ever actually say 'THIS TAKES PLACE IN THE YEAR 2345!' because that would take away the mystery factor of it. And there's not really a mystery factor, I just like leading people into false dreams.
Back to the setting of the book. Future. In the FUTURE, there's this country-type thing called Panem. And it takes up the entirety of North America (Canada, U.S., Mexico). And within Panem, there are twelve 'districts', which give me the impression of states or provinces. Each District has its own specialty kinda thing. 12 is coal, 4 is fishing, 11 is food, etc.
This story takes place in District 12, from the point of view of a sixteen year old girl named Katniss Everdeen. In this futuristic country, there is a yearly 'celebration' thing called the Hunger Games.
For the past seventy-three (almost seventy-four) years, each district has to come up with two 'tributes', one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen. These twenty-four tributes are put in a giant outdoor arena to fight to the death. Last one alive wins.
That's where Katniss comes in. At the seventy-fourth Hunger Games reaping (where they choose who is a tribute) Katniss's beloved younger sister who deeply cares for all life is chosen as a tribute. Katniss does something amazing that most people would not do for a sibling in many districts; she volunteers as a tribute in place of her sister.
The male tribute for District 12, is named Peeta Mellark, the baker's son (Geddit, cuz its pronounced like pita, as in the bread??! HAHAHA SO PUNNY.). For some reason, the narrative goes off on this random story about how he burned bread and then got slapped and then threw the bread at her because she was so hungry. That's probably the only part of the book I don't like/get. Katniss feels like she owes him or something.
Anyway, they get whisked off to The Capitol (The capital of Panem) to be prepped for interviews and training.

That's all I'm really going to say, since the littlest thing I would say could ruin the entire thing.

If you've never read this amazing trilogy in the works, GO OUT AND GET IT FROM YOUR LIBRARY, YOUR LOCAL INDIE BOOKSTORE (we need to be supporting locally owned businesses), YOUR BEST FRIEND WHO IS IN LOVE WITH THIS SERIES AS WELL, YOUR GRANDMOTHER, YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD BULLY, OR ME. :D I'm sure all of those places and people would love to let you borrow it or sell it to you.

Since I know a lot of book reviews start/end this way, I'm going to do it too.

I GIVE THIS BOOK FIVE BILLION STARS!
************************************************************
************************************************************
************************************************************
************************************************************
************************************************************
************************************************************
************************************************************
************************************************************
************************************************************
************************************************************
I don't really think that's five billion, but I don't wanna bore y'all with all these fabulous stars that this book totally deserves.

If you've already read this book and the second, Catching Fire, then check this out if you're eagerly awaiting the release of the third (and final? I kinda hope not. I love the world that she's set.) book, Mockingjay. CAUTION. Do not look at if you haven't read it. And by the way, if you're worried about the third book being 'ruined' by reading that (like my mother), don't fret, it's just a bunch of insane ideas put together by this person. And the crazy thing is, they actually almost make sense and I want what he's predicting to happen in the book. -cannot wait-.

I hope you enjoyed the first ever blogging book review by yours truly. I'm kinda hoping to do a review once a week or something. Or whenever I can't think of anything to blog about. :D


Photo is not mine. The images and stuff are Suzanne Collin's and her publisher's. And the cover mash-up with the quotes was all designed and put together by Lesslya.

No comments: